Words are such an incredibly powerful force. Words are weapons that are used to sharpen ourselves and others but they are also used to cut through our intended recipient. We use them to build each other up and we use the same tongue to tear each other down. The same mouth blesses one minute, spits fire and wrath the next. Our words spoken about ourselves start to shape how we see ourselves and who we become. Our words spoken over others can shape how they see themselves and who they become, as well.
The Bible brings up our words so many times – I’ll bring up a few:
~ “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Proverbs 18:21 NKJV
~ “But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgement for every empty word they have spoken.” Matthew 12:36 NIV
~ “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” Matthew 12:34 NKJV
~ “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1 NIV
~ “Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.” James 3:10 NIV
~ “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9 NIV
Again, there are so many more on the tongue, words, etc. The ones I want to focus on today are using our words to make strong, life changing prayers to reset our minds, prayers to speak life and re-enter the peace we were given that we so easily can slip out of.
Praying the Word of God is the most effective kind of prayer we can have. Why? Because He says so.
~ 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [a]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
Ephesians 6:12 – 17 NKJV.
~ His words are our weapons.
Prayers for Our Words
• “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14 NKJV. God, let the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart be acceptable to You.
• “Kind words are like honey – sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.” Proverbs 16:24, NLT. Kind words are like honey – let kind words flow from my lips.
• “Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.” Proverbs 21:23, ESV. God, let me keep control of my mouth and my tongue.
• “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:14,21 NKJV. God, bless __________ and do not let the evil in them overcome me, but help me overcome the evil with good.
• “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.” Col.4:6 ESV. God, let my speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, that I may know how I should answer each person.
• “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” Ps. 51:10 ESV. Since out of the mouth the heart speaks, create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.
• “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” Romans 8:6 NKJV. God let me be spiritually minded.
When we pray the Words of God, we can know we are praying in the will of God. When we pray in His will, His answers are always yes. Not that we won’t let our carnal selves overthrow our good will sometimes – ah, the free will of man! “And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us. 1 John 5:14 ESV. How could His words not be His will? Exactly – praying the Word is full-proof in His will. He will definetly hear these prayers!
Imagine the positive effects on those around us with prayers like these! Words are weapons against evil. This we have control of with God’s help!